Sunday, November 2, 2008

Diversity and Me

Diversity has to deal with the tolerance and expecting of different cutlers, religions, and ways of life portraying to a group of individuals. In this day and age our world SEEMS to by diverse you see it while working with others, competing against each other in the Olympics,dating (some cases), children who are half one race and half another race, and even on this crayola Multicultural crayon box see linkhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/squidly/20353966/ and think about the person's first comment what about that picture makes the person want to throw up?, but if you ask me there is still a gap between cultures. Whether is assuming the following stereotypes that a Asians know martial arts, all Latin are bad drivers, and all African Americas listen to rap music of course the answer is no, but that how these races are shown in the eyes of the media which I will talk about at a later date, but going back to my point we are not as diverse as we think and that was the case of me. I thought I would have a open view about anyone and anything, but I can say I have a weakness for people with special needs I am not trying to offend anyone with my comments this is just how I feel when I was younger I had a boy in my class names Jose he was a cool kid the only problem that I had was he didn't have any fingers on his right hand and that freaked me out especially when I had to sit next to him I never got over that feeling and when I would go to a store and see people with missing limbs I would go nuts. I know that this was a fear or anxiety that I had to get over, but I still freak out a little bit when I see a person with missing limbs, but instead of realizing what I take for granted I make fun of I talk about how useless these kinds of people are and they are just looking for someone to feel sorry for them, but some of these people who lost these limbs fought in wars defending my freedom others lost them in accidents and some were just born like that. I can say that going into the medical field which I planing to do I will see tons of people with these types of problems and it will be my job to help them I don't have the time to judge them or make fun of them I have to be the man and assist the needs of the person in need of assistant. I have to be like Phoenix Jackson from "A Worn Path"and keep going towards my goal I can't have a one sided mind like the father and son of "My son the Fanatic" I will become more diverse and help out other no matter how that person might look because who knows I might lose a limb myself one day and might need someones help. Until the next time....

The Warrior
A Turner

P.S. Don't forget to VOTE if you haven't already be apart of history.

No comments: