Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sorting People

Playing the race sorting game was very interesting to say the least. I thought just by looking at someone nine times out of ten you could tell what his or her race is and after playing that game I see that is not the case. I got 10 people out of the 20 people that were featured (I have to count the boxes again, but I think it was 20 people) and out of the 20 I got 1 white, 2 Latin, 3 Black, 4 Asians, and 0 American Indians. I knew I messed up on one person and I couldn't change my answer, but that's OK. After my results were calculated the following quote was said "Appearance doesn't always tell you about someones ancestry or self density" and that couldn't ring anymore true. This made me recall something that happen to me once in the Orland Park mall I had to be 8 or 10 at the time and was looking for my mom while walking a little girl who had to be 5 or younger was walking with her dad and when she saw me she ask her dad why did I look different ( I guess she never saw a person of a different race before) and the dad said that everyone looks different and I just smiled when he said that because he was right. I cannot stand when people are judge by his or her color and because or how society portrays certain races we tend to believe that's how all races are I really hope that this view point of race can change especially now because this country might be on the verge of having it's first Mixed race president in Barack Obama who is half black and half white we will just have to wait and see the answer to that in just a few short days, but back to the race game it was fun to see how I did I just wonder why I got all of the Asians right and not my own race that I have to do research on. until the next time.....

The Warrior
A. Turner

No comments: